中国非营利组织NGO发展网总干事的采访记录

[复制链接]
爱力 发表于 2013-11-26 16:10:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
中国发展简报新任总干事陈一梅接受采访
Interview with Chen Yimei, China Development Brief’s New Executive Director

作者:谢世宏 |
2013-11-22

1.jpg

Introduction: We are delighted to announce that Chen Yimei will be joining China Development Brief (CDB) as its new Executive Director starting in November. To learn more about Yimei's career, her reasons for joining CDB, and her views on the philanthropy and civil society sector in China, CDB (English) Editor, Shawn Shieh, sat down with her for a conversation:
介绍:我们非常高兴地宣布,陈一梅从2013年11月加入中国发展简报(简称简报),成为新任总干事。为更多了解陈一梅的职业经历,她为何加入简报,以及她对中国公益和公民社会部门的看法,简报英文版主编谢世宏对其进行了采访。

1.You've spent much of your professional life working in the philanthropy and civil society sector. What did you do before coming to CDB?
你的职业生涯中很长的时间都在公益和公民社会部门。加入中国发展简报以前,你在哪里工作过?

In college I studied international relations and worked as a translator, editor, and research associate for the Center for Documentation and Information, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS). My research area was in international China studies. I also worked as an interpreter and program officer for CASS Bureau of International Cooperation. In 1997, I joined the Ford Foundation and worked as Assistant to the Representative of Ford's China office, first with Tony Saich and later with Andrew Watson, until April 2007. During those 10 years I spent one year (2003-2004) doing my MPA (with a concentration on NGO management) at the Harvard Kennedy School. In 2007, I joined the China Social Entrepreneur Foundation (now called YouChange Foundation) as the Deputy Secretary General at a time when it was just being established. In September 2008, I became the Country Director of Mercy Corps until January 2012 when I moved to the U.S. (northern Virginia) with my family for one year. Since returning to Beijing, I've been working as a consultant and volunteer for several Chinese and international foundations and NGOs.
我大学的专业是国际关系,毕业后在中国社会科学院文献信息中心做翻译,编辑和研究实习员,研究国外中国学。之后我在社科院国际合作局作翻译和项目官员。我从1997年去福特基金会任首席代表助理,直到2007年4月,当时的首席代表先后为赛奇教授和华安德教授。在这10年期间,我有一年——2003至2004年去哈佛大学肯尼迪学院读公共管理硕士,专业方向是非营利组织管理。2007年,我在友成企业家扶贫基金会创立阶段加入,任副秘书长。2008年9月,我成为国际美慈中国主任,直到2012年1月离职,和家人到美国(佛吉尼亚北部)生活一年。回到北京后,我为几家中国的和国际的基金会与非营利组织做项目顾问和志愿者。

2.What (people, ideas, experiences) have been important influences on you in terms of your philosophy and approach to working in this sector?
对你在这个部门工作的思想和方法影响最大的是什么(人,想法,经历)?

The earliest important influence was my time at the Ford Foundation, not just because it was my longest tenure, but also because it was there that I learned what an NGO was, and had the opportunity to meet and work with many excellent Chinese NGOs. Before that, I knew nothing about NGOs. By the time I went to the Kennedy School in 2003, I knew NGO management was going to be my field.
最早的重大影响来源于我在福特基金会的工作经历,不仅是因为那是我迄今职业生涯中时间最长的一段,还因为,我是那个时候知道了NGO,并且有机会结识并与很多出色的中国NGO合作。此前我对NGO所知甚少。而2003年我去肯尼迪学院读书时,已经确定NGO管理是我要学习的领域。

My other jobs also gave me exposure to NGOs, such as my time at YouChange and Mercy Corps. At YouChange, I had the opportunity to learn more about social entrepreneurship and gained hands-on experience in setting up a Chinese foundation. At Mercy Corps, I learned more about international development and how international organizations can work with local partners to benefit Chinese communities and make a global impact.
其他工作经历也都是加强对NGO的了解,如友成和美慈。在友成,我有机会更多了解社会创业家精神,并有了创建中国基金会的实际经验。在美慈,我更多认识了国际发展工作,也更了解了国际组织如何与本土伙伴合作,来服务中国社群,并产生全球影响力。

I also want to mention my experience translating two books written by Western scholars: Global Civil Society: Dimensions of the Nonprofit Sector, Volume II written by Lester Salamon, S. Wojciech Sokolowski, and Associates (I was one of the translators and co-editor) and Michael Edward's Civil Society. Global Civil Society which covered 36 countries and gave me a better understanding of civil society from a global and comparative perspective, as well as of trends in global civil society. Edward's book really helped me understand the history and theoretical discussions of civil society.
我还要提到我翻译两部西方文献的经历。一部书是萨拉蒙教授等所著《全球公民社会——非营利部门指数》第二卷(我是译者和编辑之一),另一部是爱德华兹的《公民社会》。《全球公民社会》这一卷研究了36个国家,这使我得以更加从全球和比较角度了解公民社会及其趋势。爱德华兹的著作则帮助我了解了对公民社会历史和理论的讨论。

During my career in the NGO sector, I have been lucky enough to have had the chance to work with many Chinese NGOs and their founders and staff, and to support their efforts to contribute to China's development. I am proud to have contributed to the NGO sector's development in the past, and look forward to contributing to its future.
在我的NGO职业经历中,我非常有幸有机会与很多本土NGO及其创始人和工作人员共事和合作,并支持他们为中国发展做贡献。我很自豪过去曾经为非政府部门发展做了点贡献,还期待未来会继续。

3. Why did you decide to join CDB to become its executive director?
你为何加入中国发展简报,任职总干事?

My decision was motivated by several reasons:
有以下一些原因:
First, CDB has played a very important role as a media platform reporting on development issues in China, and providing important services, such as quality research, to the NGO sector. Given the sector's dynamic changes, I believe CDB has the potential to play an even bigger role in serving the sector, and helping people outside of China understand the sector's development in China.
首先,简报一直以来是中国发展问题方面重要的表达平台,同时为NGO提供了有意义的服务,如高质量的研究。随着这一部门日新月异,简报有潜力在服务民间部门和帮助国外了解中国这个部门发展方面起到更大的作用。

Second, I chose NGO management as my career and feel it's important to have that hands-on experience working for a Chinese NGO. All my previous experience has been preparing me for this experience in working in and for the sector. I always wanted this opportunity to work more closely with the grassroots NGO community on development issues.
其次,非营利组织管理是我的事业,我认为在中国的民间组织亲身实践非常重要。我以往在这个部门工作的经历,为这个部门所做的,都为我现在做了准备,因为我一直就希望能够和致力于发展的草根社群更接近。

Third, I've known many of the CDB staff – Fu Tao, Zhang Gengrui, Liu Haiying, and Shawn Shieh – for years. I admire and appreciate what they've been doing for the sector. I like CDB's organizational culture, the way it has stuck to its mission, its humility and low-profile way of working, and its commitment to learning and exploring. So when the invitation came from them for me to join, I felt excited both with the trust given to me and with what would be achieved in the future by working with this team.
第三,我与简报团队不少人认识多年了——付涛、张耿瑞、刘海英、谢世宏等。他们为这个部门所做的一切令我敬仰和欣赏。我喜欢简报的组织文化——坚守使命、谦逊低调、执着于学习和探索。所以当他们邀请我加入时,我很兴奋,既因为他们给予了我巨大的信任,也因为和这样一个团队共事,我们对未来有信心。

4. How do you think your work at CDB will differ from your previous work?
你在简报的工作和以往的有什么不同?

This will be the first Chinese grassroots NGO I've worked with, and also the first time I've worked with an organization that does media, research, and advocacy. Besides strengthening its established work in the above areas by taking advantages of innovative ideas, additional partnerships and new technologies, I see an opportunity to develop CDB into a platform to build the capacity of China's NGOs and other development actors by offering professional services such as research and consulting. I look forward to working with the team to explore developing these areas of potential.
这是我第一次在中国的民间草根机构工作,也是第一次在报道、研究与倡导这样一个领域工作。我希望简报未来勇于采纳创新思想,建立更多合作伙伴关系,运用新技术,巩固其上述领域的重要工作。同时,我们可以提供专业的服务,如研究和咨询,有机会把简报打造成一个为中国民间组织及其他发展机构增强能力的平台。我期待着与团队一起去探索如何开发我们的潜能。

5. CDB is what some people call a grassroots organization, and CDB itself is committed to empowering grassroots NGOs in China. Yet grassroots NGOs still face many obstacles and restrictions. What do you see as the way forward for grassroots NGOs?
有些人说中国发展简报就是个草根机构,简报又致力于为中国的草根机构赋能。中国的草根机构还在面临着许多发展障碍和限制。你觉得下一步草根民间机构会怎样?

Looking back to 1997 when I started my NGO career, I think of how few Chinese grassroots organizations there were. Now there are so many and they are really growing quickly. I see these organizations playing a very important role in providing services to disadvantaged communities and promoting civil society in China. Now, they are able to work with the business sector and collaborate with the government more comfortably. They are now working to professionalize foundations, making the sector more diverse, dynamic, and effective. Yet more needs be done in addressing the growing number and complexity of social problems in China.
回顾1997年我开始进入NGO领域工作时,那时中国草根机构寥寥无几。而现在的数量比那时多多了,而且发展很快。他们为服务弱势社群和推动中国公民社会发展起着重大的作用。他们今天更加自如地与商业部门和政府部门合作。他们也在推动基金会专业化,使整个部门更加多元、有活力、有效。当然,要解决中国数量日益增加、难度也日益加大的各种社会问题,还有许多摆在我们面前的重任。

Looking forward, in regards to social development, grassroots NGOs will need to become more professional, both organizationally and in terms of developing more expertise in their professional field, in order to have more impact.
下一步,在社会发展方面,草根机构需要更加专业,既包括组织专业化,也包括其在具体发展领域中的专业能力。

Grassroots NGOs drive development agendas. This is particularly true for China which did not have modern private foundations until 2004 and both are much younger compared with those in the US or Europe. I see the dynamics between grassroots NGOs and foundations as one of the major themes of China's philanthropic development in the next 5-10 years as a more mature “philanthropy supply chain” emerges.
草根民间机构是发展事业的推动者。在中国尤其如此,因为我们2004年以后才开始有现代意义的私人基金会,与欧美国家比较,要年轻得多。我认为草根民间机构和基金会的关系将是中国未来5-10年公益发展的主题,而更加成熟的“公益价值链”随之逐渐形成。

I also think that NGOs need to develop international perspectives. This is not limited to efforts to learn best practices or draw resources from abroad, but includes efforts to respect different cultures and values while serving their own communities in China, and to understand how their own work might fit in with the global agenda for humanity.
另外,我认为NGO还需要开拓国际视野。这不止于向境外最佳实践学习和取得资源,还包括在服务我们自己在本土的社区时,要努力尊重其他文化和价值观,以及要试图理解我们自己的工作和全球人类发展议程有哪些契合。

At the same time, I think there is still a great deal to do to create a more enabling environment for Chinese NGOs so that they can contribute to social innovation in organizational development and the realm of public awareness and culture. It is time to think about the NGO sector as an integral part of an ecological system in which everyone has to work together if they want to thrive.
同时,我认为,我们还要更努力建立一个更有利于中国NGO发展的环境。只有如此,这些机构才能从组织发展,公众意识和公共文化上为社会创新作更大的贡献。现在也到了把非政府部门作为一个大生态系统中一个部分的时候了,只有各方合作才能生存。

6. The philanthropy/civil society landscape in China has changed a great deal in the last few years. What role do you see CDB playing in the current landscape?
过去几年,中国公益和公民社会发生了很大变化。你认为中国发展简报在这样的形势下可以起到什么作用?

As I mentioned before, CDB will continue reporting on, and serving as a voice for, important development issues and actors in the field, and at the same time can introduce new development approaches to be researched and considered for adoption in China. In the future, I think CDB can play a bigger role in providing professional services to Chinese NGOs by providing quality data and research on social development. CDB can also play the role of a bridge in channeling more financial, intellectual, and professional resources to Chinese organizations, and helping them to be more engaged in the process of improving communities in China and overseas.
如前面提到过的,中国发展简报将会继续就重要的发展问题和发展参与者进行报道,帮助其发声。同时,我们可以介绍新的发展方法,供中国进行研究和可能的调试和引用。将来,我想中国发展简报可以给广大NGO提供高质量的数据和社会发展方面的研究等更多专业服务。简报还可以更好地起到桥梁作用,将更多的财务,智力和专业资源引入到中国机构,帮助中国机构更多参与中国和海外社群进步的过程中去。

7. Much of your professional life has been spent bringing together Chinese and foreigners working in the philanthropy and civil society sector. You will be continuing that work at CDB. What do you think the international civil society community has to offer Chinese civil society in terms of experiences and ideas? What do you think the Chinese can offer to the international community?
你的职业生涯中,大部分时间都是在连接中外的公益和公民社会从业者。你在简报会继续这个工作。你认为国际公民社会的经验和思想对中国公民社会有什么意义?中国的对国际的呢?

I think the international civil society community can continue to offer expertise, and networking platforms for Chinese NGOs to be seen on the global stage. It can also provide new ideas about social innovation and entrepreneurship, and international development.
我认为国际公民社会应该继续为中国NGO呈现在国际舞台上提供专业和网络平台。它还可以提供关于社会创新,社会创业,国际发展等领域的新观点。

Chinese civil society organizations also contribute by being a part of international civil society and working together with international CSOs on common issues while serving local needs. I like to use the metaphor of international civil society as a big river flowing into the sea which represents the global development agenda, and Chinese civil society as a stream that feeds into that river while at the same time irrigating the fields it runs through.
中国公民社会组织的贡献在于,它是国际公民社会的一部分,在服务自身社群的同时,会与国际的公民社会组织就共同问题进行合作。我用一个比喻。国际公民社会是条流向大海的大河,这大海就是全球发展的目标;中国公民社会是一条小河,它在浇灌流经的区域同时,又会汇聚到大河,直至大海。

8. As China continues to internationalize, what do you expect from the interactions between China's civil society and international counterparts in the future, and how do you see those interactions affecting the development of Chinese civil society?
随着中国继续国际化,你觉得中国公民社会与其国际同行未来的互动会怎样?这些互动会如何影响中国公民社会的发展?

I see these interactions becoming more frequent and regular, and more organizations engaging directly with each other. I also see more virtual interactions taking place through internet and social media platforms. I think those interactions will increasingly become more specialized, addressing more specific professional needs such as developing expertise, technologies, and tools for addressing problems.
我认为他们之间的互动会日渐频繁和常规化,而且越来越多的机构会相互直接交往。另外,通过互联网和社交媒体平台进行的虚拟互动也会越来越多。我想这些互动会越来越专业化,越来越关注行业知识技能,技术和工具等具体的专业需求。

In terms of how these interactions will affect Chinese civil society, I think they will provide Chinese CSOs with more choices for developing their own ideas, platforms, and tools to help them better address the needs of their communities, and more opportunities to collaborate to achieve social progress in China and beyond.
这些互动如何影响中国的公民社会呢,我认为它们为中国的公民社会组织在开发自身的思想,平台和工具时,提供更多的选择,帮助他们更好地满足社群需求,而且提供更多合作的机会,实现中国及更广大地域里的社会进步。
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 爱力 发表于 2013-11-26 16:12:01 | 显示全部楼层
王振耀:三中全会勾勒现代慈善蓝图

备受瞩目的十八届三中全会已经落幕,就公益慈善事业而言,十八届三中全会释放了哪些信号?对于社会组织的发展和公益慈善事业所面临的问题,“改革”又给出了怎样的回答?

在北京师范大学公益研究院院长王振耀看来,在十八届三中全会审议通过的《中共中央关于全面深化改革若干重大问题的决定》(下称《决定》)中,很多地方都体现着发展慈善事业的思路和举措。如果三中全会的精神能够得到全面落实,那么慈善事业实现历史性跨越将是必然。

“政社分开是发展社会服务业的关键”

《华夏时报》:从公益慈善事业的角度来看,《决定》有哪些亮点?

王振耀:就建设现代慈善而言,《决定》没有说一般性的空话、客套话,而直接指出了公益慈善事业所面临的所有问题,并给出了解决方法。

最大的亮点是直接提出要“完善慈善捐助减免税制度”。因为税收是目前制约企业、个人捐赠以及公益基金会进一步做大做强的核心问题。包括股票捐赠、非实物捐赠、基金会投资收益的税收问题等,都是公益领域的热点议题。我想,这在三中全会后都会有明确的配套措施出台。

其次,是关于社会组织双重登记的问题。《决定》再次提出,要“重点培育和优先发展行业协会商会类、科技类、公益慈善类、城乡社区服务类社会组织”,成立时“直接依法申请登记”。这将加速《基金会管理条例》《社会团体登记管理条例》《民办非企业单位登记管理暂行条例》的修改进程,有望在年内完成修订,尽快放开“直接登记”。

第三是政府购买公务服务。《决定》要求政府进一步简政放权,将适合由社会组织提供的公共服务和解决的事项,交由社会组织承担。这就解决了社会组织发展起来“做什么”的关键问题。

《华夏时报》:《决定》指出要激发社会组织活力。这说明现在的社会组织是缺乏或者是没有活力的,您认为哪些因素束缚了社会组织的活力?

王振耀:首先,现行规定要求各类社会组织,需要先找到业务主管部门,再到民政部门去登记注册。这一要求导致很多民间社会组织登记难。据我了解,目前一些民间专业化的服务性组织,由于起点低,启动资金少,要找到业务主管单位,在民政部门注册非常难,只能勉强在工商部门注册;但因为缺乏政府支持,生存状况堪忧,哪来的活力?

其次,就是大额捐款无法免税。比如说陈发树捐赠83亿,缴十多亿税,那全世界都不用捐款了。换作比尔·盖茨要捐300亿美元,要缴几十亿的税,他还会捐吗?这样原本就行不通。所以有人就说:我办一个慈善组织还不如办一个公司,公司还有各种优惠免税政策呢。因此,必须要让大额捐款,特别像股票捐赠之类的富豪捐款变得更通畅。

第三,还有一个世界罕见的社会组织工资水平的特别规定,即慈善组织人员工资不得高于当地平均工资水平的2倍。这把人都吓跑了,还谈什么发展?

《华夏时报》:对于政社分开,《决定》用了“加快”字眼,这说明政社分开是一个长期过程。

王振耀:我国的社会组织有两个非常特殊的形态:一是事业单位,比如各种各样的政府退休人员办的或政府职能部门直接办的社会组织;二是人民团体,如工会、共青团、妇联、残联等,其从业者类似于准公务员。过去政社不分,注册组织要求有主管单位,这造成主管单位对社会组织干预过多,或者别的部门很难监管有主管单位的社会组织,这就需要政社分开。

其实,这类组织从事的大都是儿童、养老、残疾人服务等领域的公益慈善事业,这种本身都是以人为本的行业,完全不必由政府直接管理,最好按照一定比例由政府出钱,规范的民间社会组织来接收。如此,社会服务业才会真正发展起来。

当然,对于有政府背景的社会组织,比如人民团体和社会团体,也不能简单一“消”了之,而是应该进行功能转型,比如妇联,可以帮助妇女类的社会组织发展,搭建桥梁和枢纽,与民间组织形成互动。

《华夏时报》:对于“限期实现行业协会商会与行政机关真正脱钩”,您如何理解?

王振耀:对于行业协会商会与行政机关脱钩,今年两会通过的国务院机构改革和职能转变方案中的表述是“逐步推进”,而《决定》的要求是“限期”和“真正”。这说明“脱钩”是非常迫切的问题。

为什么要脱钩?就是要实现“一业多会、引入竞争机制”。原来很多协会、商会带有很多官办色彩,都有一定的行政职能,对企业而言,是领导机关而非真正的服务机构,以致我国在世界上买什么什么贵,卖什么什么便宜。不脱钩,行业就发展不起来,产品质量和制度都无法保障,而脱钩后,会带来竞争,谁为企业提供的服务好,谁就能得到更多资源,也能避免腐败。

“中国开始进入社会体制改革时代”

《华夏时报》:《决定》中多次提到公共服务,比如加大公共服务,加大政府购买公共服务的力度。过去的政府购买服务中存在哪些问题?

王振耀:加大以人为本的政府采购服务,是非常必要的,这不仅因为政府购买公共服务是国际上的普遍做法,更因为这是政府采购市场开放的必然要求。像养老、儿童等具体的社会服务,政府都不可能直接提供。比如说残疾人、老年人的照料,包括心理抚慰,各种各样的社会问题大量产生以后,是一定要由社会组织来进行承担的。

但现在来看,我们并没有真正的严格意义上的政府购买服务,养老、儿童、残疾人服务等领域哪有几个购买服务的?不加大采购力度,社会组织就发展不起来。社会组织服务应该是一种市场服务行为,政府购买社会组织服务应该推动高质量的社会服务产品出现,对产品标准、评价应该有很清楚、很细化的评价模式。

《华夏时报》:社会组织承担公共服务有哪些问题?

王振耀:社会组织面临的问题有两个。一是注册门槛高。登记门槛高,闹得大家服务不了,想做好事,时机和渠道都不通,现在要投入专业化服务,需要培训专业化人员,当务之急是尽快调整我们的有关政策,调整我们的有关法规;二是缺乏资金运营的支持。尤其是那些民间专业化的服务性组织,由于起点低,启动资金少,因为缺乏政府支持,生存状况堪忧,组织活动也难以行业化、规范化。如果是政府公共服务转到社会组织来,社会组织就能得到政府资助,真正成为社会的有机组成部分。

《华夏时报》:《决定》此次又提出要重点培育优先发展四类社会组织,社会组织现在还不能直接注册。

王振耀:主要是缺乏法律支持。《基金会管理条例》《社会团体登记管理条例》《民办非企业单位登记管理暂行条例》这三个条例还有待修改。《慈善法》也还没有制定。

《华夏时报》:三中全会后,法律的推进力度会加大吗?

王振耀:《决定》在提到社会治理和公益慈善时,都在强调“依法”。这种对法制的强调,肯定会大大促进相关法律的修订和出台。

《华夏时报》:与以往不同的是,《决定》还专门提出要“支持和发展志愿服务组织”。其意义何在?

王振耀:与发达国家专业化的志愿服务和强制性的志愿服务相比,我们的志愿服务组织还很不成熟,大多是“作秀”性质的表演。比如说现在做志愿服务的多是大学生,都是临时的,大学一毕业就停止了。

志愿服务应该是组织化、专业化的,美国是发达国家中志愿服务最少的,也有20%。美国人已经有三部有关志愿服务的法律,规定每个公民在一定年龄段,必须提供多少时间的志愿服务。我们现在一部也没有。假如中国开动志愿服务的法律体系建设,整个社会就会有用之不竭的志愿服务人员,社会道德水准就会不断向上生长。这对改进整个社会风气,完善现代社会治理体系的意义都是非常巨大的。

《华夏时报》:总的来看,《决定》对于中国公益慈善事业的发展有什么作用?

王振耀:三中全会全面规范了社会体制改革,特别是现代的公益慈善事业,包括立法、免税、注册、志愿服务,包括政府采购,这标志着整个中国开始进入了一个社会体制改革时代。可以说,《决定》勾勒出了一幅现代慈善的蓝图,如果其中内容能够真正落实,那么在不远的将来,或是在三五年之内,中国的公益慈善事业就会上一个非常大的台阶。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

天际 发表于 2013-11-27 11:38:48 | 显示全部楼层
谢谢爱力分享,方向很明确,前途很光明。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

QQ|小黑屋|Archiver|手机版|生命绿洲论坛

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 23:23 , Processed in 0.113862 second(s), 20 queries .